Saturday, July 6, 2024

Cherishing Student Connections: Attending Chakrapani Udupa's Janma Nakshatra Shanti Homa on 6th July 2024

I consider myself truly fortunate to be a teacher and to have the privilege of interacting with my students, even at this stage of my life. It's a joy to attend student-related functions, to meet my former students, and reminisce about their college days. Who else gets to enjoy such an extraordinary opportunity? I feel lucky that some of my students invite me to their important events, and I rarely miss these fantastic opportunities.

Recently, I had the pleasure of such an experience when Shri Vedamurthy Chakrapani Udupa, one of my B.Com students from Vijaya College, Mulki, where I taught him in 1988, called to invite me to attend the Janma Nakshatra Shanti Homa, celebrated on 6th July 2024, at his temple. Chakrapani is now the main priest of Kunjur Sri Durga Parameshwari Temple near Paniyadi, Udupi. I immediately assured him that I would be there.

On that Saturday, after participating in the Doctoral Advisory Meeting of Mrs. Shwetha Pai, one of my PhD students at the Institute of Management and Commerce, Srinivas University, City Campus, Pandewshwar, Mangalore, I made my way to Uchila. From there, I caught an auto to reach the temple. I arrived at the temple at noon, just as the Janma Nakshatra Shanti Homa was in full swing.

As soon as I arrived, Chakrapani Udupa recognized me immediately, even at 68. I often marvel at how students can identify their teachers even after many years. He introduced me to some of his relatives and became engrossed in the Homa process. Meanwhile, I interacted with some seniors who had gathered for the function.

The food served was wonderful. It was a rare delight to hear the sound of heavy rains outside while enjoying a traditional South Indian lunch that included Holige, Jelebi, Halva, and many other varieties. Chakrapani also introduced me to some of my former students, namely, Mrs. Rajshree, Mrs Shaku and Mrs. Shridevi, whom I hadn't seen for 37 years. He even presented me with a rare and wonderful memento.

After lunch, I began my journey back home in the rain. Luckily, I got a ride to Uchila and then returned home, carrying beautiful memories of those days with me.

Reflecting on these moments, I am reminded of the deep connections and lasting impressions we teachers leave on our students. It's these bonds that make the teaching profession so rewarding and meaningful.

With Chakrapani Udupi, his wife Mrs. Ranani, Mrs. Rajshree, Mrs. Shaku and Mrs. Shridevi

With Chakrapani Udupi, his wife Mrs. Ranani, Mrs. Rajshree, Mrs. Shaku and Mrs. Shridevi

















With Chakrapani Udupi, his wife Mrs. Ranani, Mrs. Rajshree, Mrs. Shaku and Mrs. Shridevi


With Chakrapani Udupi, his wife Mrs. Ranani, Mrs. Rajshree, Mrs. Shaku and Mrs. Shridevi



No comments:

A Scenic Journey, Family Bonds, and Factory Wonders: Our Eventful Trip to Bangalore

  As per our original plan, my wife and I had booked tickets on an Air India flight to attend my sister Hema's son Vadiraj's wedding...