Saturday, July 13, 2024

A Memorable Journey: Attending a Sahasra Chandra Darshana Celebration in Bangalore

We must attend certain family functions, as the family is a web of social relationships that binds us. I recently attended the Sahasra Chandra Darshana celebration for my niece's uncle, who resides in Kamala Nagar, Bangalore. As planned, I reserved my seat on the Panchaganga Express, which connects Bangalore and Karwar. I embarked on my journey to Bangalore on the 12th of July at 8:45 pm from Manipal, with my son, Dr. Arun Mayya, accompanying me to Udupi Railway Station. The train arrived at Udupi station at 9:20 pm.

Travelling on the Panchaganga Express was an excellent experience. It is known for its scenic route, convenience, comfort, punctuality, and reliability. The train's arrival time in Bangalore at 7:15 am is particularly convenient. True to its reputation, the train reached KSR Bangalore on time. I settled into the retiring room to freshen up, and after having breakfast at the Bangalore Railway Station, I made my way to Namma Metro at 9:30 am to head towards Rajaji Nagar.


Within six minutes, I arrived at the Namma Metro Station at Majestic and purchased a ticket to Rajajinagar for Rs. 18. Within four minutes, I boarded the Metro, greeted by the familiar voice of Aparna, who recently passed away. After a brief ten-minute ride, I reached Rajaji Nagar, took an auto, and arrived at the Huthada Venktaramana Temple on Theater Road in Kamala Nagar within ten minutes. The temple looked splendid, and my nephew Srikanth welcomed me warmly and took me for morning high tea. I was delighted to meet my sisters, Vedavathi and Sharede, who reside in Kota.

The program's highlight was the Sahasra Chandra Darshana, a significant milestone in Indian culture. This traditional ceremony honours individuals who have witnessed the sight of the full moon a thousand times in their lifetime, translating to living for 80 years or more. The ceremony celebrates the blessing of longevity, acknowledging that the individual has experienced a thousand full moons. In Indian culture, longevity is associated with spiritual wisdom and experience, making this ceremony a joyous occasion where family, friends, and the community gather to celebrate the individual's long and fruitful life.

The ceremony involved various rituals and pujas (prayers) performed to invoke blessings from deities for the individual's continued health and well-being. Offerings were made, and blessings were sought. Family members often presented the honoree with gifts and tokens of respect.

I met many relatives at the event, including my sister Vedavathi, her son Srikanth, Kasturi, her husband Somanath Karanth, their son Sridevi, and other family members. The rituals included several homas (sacred fire ceremonies) and offerings to God, followed by a delicious lunch.

After lunch, I began my journey to JP Nagar to meet my old classmate, CR Sridhar, from our 1977 days at Poornaprajna College, Udupi. I took an auto to Rajajinagar Metro Station, bought a ticket to JP Nagar for Rs. 30, and reached there within half an hour, where Sridhar awaited me at the exit. Sridhar took me to his beautifully constructed home near JP Nagar Metro Station, where I met his mother after 47 years and his wife, an accomplished Veena player.

I spent two wonderful hours with Sridhar, reminiscing about our college days, discussing music, and catching up on life. His wife kindly packed nicely a large quantity of  Upma for my night journey. At 5:30 pm, I left his house with Sridhar, reached JP Nagar Metro Station, and bought a ticket to Majestic. I arrived at Majestic Station in time, walked to KSR Railway Station, and boarded the Panchaganga Express at Platform 8. The train departed at 6:50 pm and reached Udupi at 4:45 am. I hired an auto and was home by 5:10 am.



It was an incredible journey, filled with memories of old friends and relatives and a celebration of a significant cultural milestone.
























































































No comments:

A Scenic Journey, Family Bonds, and Factory Wonders: Our Eventful Trip to Bangalore

  As per our original plan, my wife and I had booked tickets on an Air India flight to attend my sister Hema's son Vadiraj's wedding...